Started Aug 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,679
Like?
Off to college issues
Aug 9, 2013

I have a daughter who is college bound and it's interesting how this leads to so many policy reversals.

Yeah, despite my best efforts, she wants a MacBook. Shocker eh? So here I am with 20 years of Windows experience being forced to buy (and support) an OS X system. Oh well, at least I have some limited FreeBSD and Linux skills. I'm thinking TeamViewer will be more than useful!

Of course, one of my first thoughts is backup! I start with the obvious -- an external HDD. Then I realized that after 5 years of rejecting the notion of cloud backup, it's perfect for her situation with low data volumes to start and probably not the most disciplined approach to manual backups.

I thought I'd found a good solution when her college offered an unlimited plan at rates 20-30% below Carbonite/Crashplan etc. When I finally got access to the fine print I discovered that the "unlimited" feature is limited to specific file types. i.e. MS Office and the like. Granted they're likely the most important ones but the list excludes software, images (she is photographer with a DSLR) music, video etc! So it's 10% of the data for 75% of the cost -- what a scam.

In any event, our current plan is to try CrashPlan which seems to get good reviews. I like that I can have it maintain a backup on one of my machines at home in addition to the cloud copy.

Next came all of the extended warranty and other nonsense. This is one area where my usual policies held up well. Purchase on a credit card which offers a 1 year warranty extension and insure against drops, theft etc. via my Homeowners policy which will cover her camera and laptop for $20/year.

On the upside, I'll finally have a chance to try RPP on some of my RAW images before her departure. For several years I've wanted a chance to play with RPP for RAW conversion.

Anyway, I though some of you might find this entertaining. Of course, any tips or anecdotes from those who've sent kids off to college would be most welcome.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow