D7100 has made me very poor, Need help !!

Started Aug 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amitpahuja
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
D7100 has made me very poor, Need help !!
Aug 9, 2013

I recently bought D7100 for one of my upcoming dream trips to capture the Himalayan mountains. I had about 4 SD Cards of 16x2 and 8x2 with my D90 which used to give me somewhere about 1k+ images in JPEG format and about 700+ in RAW. Then I always used to transfer all my images into my travel HDD in night so I can free up the SD Cards for the shoot next day and was happy !!

Now that I bought a D7100, the images are very heavy and suddenly I felt that I need to buy more memory cards so I invested in 4x16GB SanDisk Extreme 45mbps class 10 cards + 1 x 16gb Extreme Pro 95mbps card. Now if I do the calculation I get about 297 images in RAW, 700 in JPEG Fine per card. I like and want to shoot RAW but that just leaves me with about 1700 images as I have 16gb x 7 SD cards now that could be OK if and yes if I could transfer the images at night into my HDD.

But, as the place I'm going is above 17000ft (altitude) and the normal HDD's doesn't work or rather might crash if used (as per forums) at that altitude, I'm feeling blue... buying more of these cards is an expensive option as I suspect I would shoot about 10k+ images in 18+ days roadtrip above 17000ft.

What options do I have here other than buying an SSD that again is a very expensive option considering the volume of images I might be shooting... I do have a MBA 128 GB and have about 60GB free but would be of little help again..

Need some immediate help from the experts on what are the options !! Shooting JPEG's Fine only could be the last resort ....

-- hide signature --

www.travelwithamitpahuja.blogspot.com
Nikon D90 - Nikor 18-105, 50mm, 55-300, MB-D80, SB-700, Tokina 11-16

amitpahuja's gear list:amitpahuja's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow