First XF1 photos

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Photos thread
davidge
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Re: Great comparison M vs L
In reply to Wellington100, Aug 9, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

That is true but Auto ISO will lower the ISO in good light so its not an issue. If you don't set Auto ISO 400 then you preclude the camera using the 320 ISO setting which is the highest ISO it can use for the above mentioned trickery.

Dave uses Auto ISO 200 so the camera is always in the zone on that side of things, but 800% DR has the same effect as 400 ISO in that it stops the EXR processing.

The way to guarantee EXR processing every time is to use Auto ISO 200 and Auto DR 400 but of course those are good light settings only. Perhaps an optimised good light setting and a low light setting would be a good use for C1 and C2. I might have a go at that.

Any suggestions for an optimised low light setting would be appreciated, would increasing NR for example be a good idea?

On the X10 (which is what I have) I don't have Auto ISO 200 or Auto DR 400 settings available, hence I set ISO200 and DR200%. I do have AUTO DR which chooses between DR100% and DR400% but on the X-10 if it chooses DR200% or DR400% it overexposes by 0.5 to 1 stop. It may not be a problem on the XF1 and is simple to test for. A shame, because being able to simply set Auto ISO+AUTO DR and letting the camera get on with it would be useful at times.

AUTO ISO 400 is OK but as you mention that does mean in M size with DR 400% it would not use the EXR trickery if it selected ISO 400. The other aspect (as I understand it) is that when it gets darker and the ISO is pushed up to 400 (assuming DR is 400%) it would still apply the 'full frame' DR (whether using M or L size) when it is then probably not required. However I have also read (again on DPR) that in M size if ISO is > 2xDR% (e.g. DR400%, ISO 800) then the camera uses EXR-SN noise minimalisation and not the DR trickery.

Low light settings I have seen recommended are Auto ISO 3200+DR100% (i.e. in M size would, if the above is true, apply EXR-SN as the ISO rises above 100) or Auto ISO 3200+DR200% or DR400% if you want some DR applied.

Me, I'm lazy. When the light gets low I simply switch to EXR Auto and let the camera get on with it! I get M size images but it saves a lot of phaffing around. If I really want L size I use Auto ISO 1600+DR100% or DR200%.

I guess there is no one 'best way' with these cameras and if Fuji would actually explain when the various trickeries are used it would help us all to make our choices.

davidge's gear list:davidge's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
JMRNew
DS21New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow