Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mikhail Tal
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Ebony Magazine covers show Trayvon supporters wearing LIGHT GRAY hoodies
11 months ago

Trayvon Martin wore a black hoodie, so if Ebony is going to pose celebrities wearing hoodies as a sign of support, there's no other reason not to pose them in black hoodies except for the fact that a black hoodie conveys the look of a thug to a wide audience of people, regardless of what race you are. It's also important to note that they chose people with children much younger than Trayvon, and all of the adults have their hoods down, unlike Trayvon, because an adult wearing a hood looks a lot more menacing than a child wearing a hood.

I know this because less than two years ago I was walking home from college along a main street on a cold day, wearing blue jeans and a light gray hoodie with the hood on, and I was also wearing sunglasses because there was a glare and my eyes are sensitive to bright sunlight anyway. I got pulled over by two white cops (I'm also white) who rolled down the passenger window and one asked where I was going. I pulled down my hood without thinking and told him, he then asked where I went to college and I told him, then he rolled up his window and they drove off. I wasn't acting drugged out or scouting out surrounding buildings like Zimmerman claims Trayvon was, so the only reason I got pulled over was because of how I looked, and I had way less reason to be questioned than Trayvon did.

Before you ask, no I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't wear. It's just a fact that in some situations you are going to bring more scrutiny on yourself from just about anyone, no matter who you are, if you wear a black hoodie with the hood up. Because if you were a criminal or troublemaker, that would be a very plausible choice of attire.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow