Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I'm not an expert. link to interesting pros and cons of fusion
In reply to Mateo Miller, Aug 9, 2013

Mateo Miller wrote:

Just got my 2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Quad core i7 yesterday.

I replaced the internal 1TB drive with an after market SSD and will be using the 1TB drive for Time Machine.

I also have an external 1TB drive for my photos.

The only thing on my SSD is the OS and Applications.

DigLloyd has some interesting articles on Mac performance Mac Performance Guide, Mac Mini 2012 dual drives vs Fusion

Not confident with "Fusion" technology, yet.

I talked to a couple of "Genius" and they weren't too enthusiastic about the reliability either.

I have never heard or read anything but positive things about the Fusion Drive. My iMac's Fusion Drive has been flawless and quite a few people I know who have new Macs have been very happy with their Fusion Drives too.

As for the "reliability" Fusion Drives are likely to be much more reliable than simply using a standard hard drive that is constantly being acessed, unlike with the standard drive in a Fusion Drive. What exactly are your concerns?

Better safe than sorry, and Apple really over chargers for SSD's IMHO.

All computer manufacturers charge a premiun for SSD options and no other manufacturer but Apple offers Fusion Drives.

Haven't installed the RAM yet. I thought I would play with the system for a week or two and see if anything weird happens.

Check Apples refurb listings. I saved a couple of hundred bucks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow