McGooble
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon
In reply to AllBrands, 8 months ago

AllBrands wrote:

marike6 wrote:

McGooble wrote:

Unfortunately the D7000 is also a bit out of my budget at the moment. Also I was talking to a local camera shop owner and he said that he wouldnt even carry them because they have back/front focusing issues that can't seem to be figured out. This guy knows what he's talking about too, since he repairs cameras as well he gets some insider knowledge from his colleagues in the warranty centers. So that was strike two against the D7000.

Sorry but this guy is talking total nonsense and personally I wouldn't buy any camera from someone who is so willing to BS customers to make up for lack of a well stocked camera shop.

The D7000 has an excellent AF system, as accurate or more so than the K-30 with way more AF points, and far better AF tracking performance (I've owned both cameras and Nikon's predictive AF tracking is as good as it gets).

But with every DSLR there are isolated reports from pedantic forum users about front/back focusing, but both the K-30 and D7000 have AF micro adjust.

To claim to not stock a wildly popular DSLR because of some reports of back/front focus frankly sounds ridiculous. Whatever you decide to buy, purchase it from a reputable shop like B&H or Adorama and you won't face problems of high prices and limited selection like your guy. Do yourself a favor and take a pass from old fashioned rip-off artists camera shops. Stick with B&H or at the very least, Amazon.

My reaction to that comment was the same. Let me think for a moment - why would a retailer bad-mouth a camera he doesn't have in stock? A couple of reasons pop to mind and neither involves "insider knowledge" or repair experience!

Now that you mention it, I do think the back/front focus issue that the shop owner talked about was blown way out of proportion. If the D7000 was so laden with problems, it wouldn't have the glowing user reviews that it does. I actually realized that one of my former co-workers owns one, along with a ton of film era lenses that he uses on it, and he speaks very highly of it. Upon thinking about it further, it seems that the few times I've been there they have always really pushed the Pentax gear. I've gone in asking questions about Nikon and they seem to redirect me to Pentax. Perhaps they get more profit from Pentax, since they are a pro dealer for them.

To reflect klavrack's thoughts, I am indeed more conflicted than when I started. I was thinking due to price of body alone I'd go with Pentax, but now I'm leaning more towards Nikon. I have several friends/family that have Nikon gear, so it would be nice to have the option of borrowing from them.

It seems to come down to lens selection mostly. I know exactly which lenses I'd get for Nikon, not quite so sure about which ones I'd get for Pentax. I tinkered with the 18-105 lens a few times and really liked it for a all around lens. I'd also get the 35mm 1.8 and possibly a 50mm 1.8D, since they are fairly affordable. I see there's one on craigslist for $65 it might be what I get until I can afford the 35mm. All of them aren't very expensive, but with the additional cost of the body I may have to get just one lens for a bit. For either it would be completely awesome to get a sigma 18-35 1.8, but that's way out of my range for a lens unfortunately. Maybe some day...

I think both cameras would perform to my expectations, but as it has been said look at the upgrade path and it seems Nikon might have the edge. Of course ask me tomorrow and I might reverse my leanings There are so many great things about each choice.

I'm not totally sold on Nikon, so more comments are welcome. Everyone has been quite helpful, thanks for all the input.

-- hide signature --

-Tony

McGooble's gear list:McGooble's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
70DNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow