Olympus XZ-1, still crazy sharp and capable!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,080Gear list
Like?
Olympus XZ-1, still crazy sharp and capable!
11 months ago

Things I find unexpected...actual real-world low light usage is extremely capable, I can shoot til dawn because of the combination of sharp bright lens, subjectively good looking shadow noise, and better than expected IS.  Dynamic range is also better than expected again due to shadow noise that is not unpleasant.  Pretty much sharp corner to corner throughout the focal length and focal distances.  Better than expected Macro shots again due to strong lens and better than expected IS.  Never even really shot a serious CCD sensor before, but I like the overall look.  From searching the forums for equivalent focal length it even appears that the wide angle is better than manufacturer spec and is a decent bit wider than 28mm effective.  Below shots I was trying to get classic 'focal lengths' and was off a few, but was trying for 28, 35, 50, 85, and 105

I've seen very few fast zoom lenses with this much range that can hold up in consistent quality.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow