Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
This is already way out of topic, I promise this is the last time I'll humour you.
In reply to ultimitsu, 11 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

1/5s F2.8 ISO1600,

Can't really say but even with such a small pic, PP and noise smoothing is already evident.

What are you on about buddy? this is 4000x3000 image, focus is on the steering wheel.

I don't know if something is wrong with your eyes or your monitor but there is a lot of smearing and it is really noisy... buddy.

Got nothing better to say so you have to stick to trashtalk? Firstly you incorrectly call it "small size", then when caught out, you argue it is too smeared at full res.

Lets see your D7000 or K5 low light 1/5s ISO 1600 shot with significant less noise and smearing. put your photo where your mouth is.

I give you, ISO6400. I tried to emulate your scenario but this is the best I can do @ 3am with a lightbulb. For fun, I used my old Pentax SMCA 50mm f2 at f2.8

Yeah, even at ISO 6400 it holds more detail than 60D's ISO 1600... with a very old lens. Yeah there is noise but yeah, ISO 6400.

Where is the trash talk buddy? You called me buddy, so we must be buds right? I don't know what they smoke in Canonland BTW.

I don't know if you have a hard time understanding things. I stated even with that small pic (thumb nail) smoothing is already evident and there is already a lot of loss in detail, so you happily stated that it is a 4000x3000... even if I don't really need too since I already know the amount of detail loss, smearing and noise which was already evident you know, even on the thumbnail.

Of these 5 links you gathered, 3 makes no mention of focal length, one of them is tamron's own site so it should be disqualified. You are wasting time.

pop photo is the only site mention actual FL, but they do not mention focus breathing at all while.

This is what photo.net has to say:

"Focal Length

The Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD exhibits what is sometimes referred to as “focal length breathing” or sometimes “focus breathing”. That means that the effective focal length (or angle of view, or magnification) changes with focus distance, specifically the closer the focus the shorter the focal length at any given zoom setting. This is somewhat difficult to measure, but at the a close focus distance of 2m I’d estimate that the “true” or “effective” focal length with the zoom set to 200mm is closer to 140mm. A lot of zoom lenses do this to a greater or lesser extent. At infinity I measured a focal length of 196mm, which is pretty typical for lenses which are nominally “200mm”, while at 10m I measured a focal length of 188mm."

That is in line with Lensrental's finding

Hard to say, since I have very little interest in wildlife or action photography. Maybe lets just wait and see from other users and

So you cannot really testify as to tamron's AF performance in terms of comnination of speed and accuracy as I have pointed out several posts back, can you?

Read down,

So you do admit that you were wasting time posting 5 links and that tamron is not a real 70-200?

Well I am not really admitting anything, I just find it funny that even when some sites says that the the Canon 70-200L II is not even a 200mm that some sites even says that the Tamron has the longer end, is sharper all throughout, is cheaper. Surely there is no bias from you favoring your expensive L glass right? No double standards here!

I just posted a shot with the old 70-200 with a D40. Combination of speed ang accuracy? How about a badly lit runway shoot with an older camera (Tamron + D40) vs a somewhat newer camera and supposedly one of the best lens of Canon in good lighting?

Your runway shot is in no way a sufficient stress test for that lens's AF capability. just becasue you used a old body doesnt mean it ought to do better with newer bodies.

As I don't really shoot running dogs and such, I guess you never shot a runway show before (or did you?) since the model was "just standing there". Its like you are saying that the D40's AF is better than the 60D's AF, or are you implying it?

So if one review site says one thing and one the other, either way, still sharper and has a better distortion control over the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM while $1000 cheaper.

As I said earlier, the Tamron is a good lens and a low cost alternative to the Canon 70-200II, but it is in no way the same class as the Canon and it is not a real 70-200.

tamron at 200mm (186mm) F2.8

Canon at 200mm F2.8

Yeah its not in the same class as the LII, in fact it is better than the VRII and LII on some review sites. I thought we were discussing the new Tamron 70-200 f2.8 DI VC USD that has a tested 196.11mm?

And if you are comparing the old Tamron 70-200 vs that LII, the difference is minuscule but the savings are huge!

And please, if you are going to quote me, quote everything.

You should take your own advice. see below.

This is already way out of topic. In no way or form a 60D has better lowlight low noise high ISO performance over a K30/K50/K500/K01.

Take your own advice on quoting properly. I never said "60D has better lowlight low noise high ISO performance over a K30/K50/K500/K01."

Well I never did say or implied that you stated that right?

I said:

1, noise itself is not an issue in practice because you can easily clean it up in post. what matters is detail and DR retention.

2, 60D is a bit behind, there is no debate. [But] the difference is not as much as people often make it out to be.

I have shown you plenty of my own high ISO images. MOD EDIT, Edited last section for flame. bating.

1. Noise is an issue, if not, why would we need a FF DSLR? (aside from the other obvious stuff) Additionally, less noise, less time post processing.

2. The difference is HUGE its not even funny compared to the K5II.

So therefore, the K30 is such a bargain right now since its high ISO low noise performance is almost or as good as the K5II. I promise, this will be my last reply on this topic.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
70DNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow