Is a 16-80mm f2.8-f4 lens that weighs 300g possible?

Started Aug 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mattoid
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Is a 16-80mm f2.8-f4 lens that weighs 300g possible?
Aug 8, 2013

Having seen the following rumour http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr2-nex-7-successor-specs-and-16-80mm-zeiss-info-too-good-to-be-true/ I thought id see if anyone with knowledge of with lenses can provide any insight as to whether it could be accurate.

Basically a 16-80mm f2.8-f4 lens by zeiss/sony for nex. Specifically to arive with the nex 7 replacement.

The rumour specifies a width of 68mm and a length of 62mm when closed and a 302g weight without hood. Pretty specific stats, so if it isn't accurate its an elaborate bluff.

My thoughts are that this lens would offer a very convenient range with ok-ish aperture (providing it has stabilisation).

If it was supposed to be constant 2.8 I would not believed it possible at that weight. But 2.8 to 4 seems more reasonable. The fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 is 310 grams. So its not completely out of the question but of course 16-80 is a longer range and it still has to loose 8g.

So what do you guys think? Is it possible?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow