5-axis IBIS in a P&S

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,477Gear list
Like?
Re: 5-axis IBIS in a P&S
In reply to azazel1024, 8 months ago

azazel1024 wrote:

One thing to keep in mind, the smaller the camera, the less optical image stabalization can help. This is, actually, to a degree a handicap for m4/3. Granted, I don't really know of any IBIS on larger formats...but larger formats COULD have better IBIS because of their size.

If the E-M5 has, (making something up) 5mm of sensor shift to compensate for shake, a FF sensor might be able to have more because of the larger sensor size combined with a bigger image circle to start with. So if you are trembling around and would be reaching the limits of the sensor shift, FF IBIS might be able to compensate further. Something like a P&S with its tiny sensor, likely isn't going to be able to shift much at all, limiting its utility.

Same with in lens, though in lens you could conceivable have the elements shift as much as you want if you design the thing however you want...though I am sure there is some kind of upward bound where you couldn't design the optical system to have the elements shift anymore and have even remotely a practical design.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

On the contrary, smaller formats are if anything at an advantage when it comes to IS. If an MFT sensor has to move 2 mm in an instant to make up for the shake, an FF sensor has to move 4 mm during the same instant (twice as fast) to make up for the same shake. On top of that, the components that have to move, whether glass or the sensor, are bigger and heavier for FF.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow