Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?
In reply to bbpp, 11 months ago

bbpp wrote:

Basalite wrote:

bbpp wrote:

I need to replace my old MacBook Pro which is now old and running too slowly for my purposes. It's currently hooked up to an external monitor (an Eizo) and this is a good set-up for me.

When I went to the Apple store one of the "Experts" there suggested the Mac Mini instead of a new Macbook Pro since I already have a monitor. It would save me a lot of money. But although he was quite knowledgeable, he's not a photographer running Photoshop, Lightroom, and downloading large quantities of large image files, so I wonder if the following set up he suggested will really be powerful enough for me:

Yes, it will. Don't get a standard hardbdrive but choose the Fusion Drive or the 256GB SSD instead.

Thanks Baselite. Just went to the Apple site to see the difference between the two. It looks like in the Fusion Drive the flash drive is paired with the existing 1TB traditional hard drive?

Yes, the Fusion drive in the mini is actually two separate 2.5 drives, a 128GB SSD and a 1TB spinning drive that is joined by software to appear as one drive. The OS resides on the SSD and apps and files that are accessed more are kept or moved to the SSD and less accessed files are kept or moved to the 1TB drive. I have it in my iMac and it works great.

The Solid State Drive is just $50 more. Huge difference in speed?

The 256GB SSD option is a bit quicker on the read and write side but more so on the write. My advice would be to get the Fusion Drive as it offers better value and ease of use if you are looking for the benefit of SSD speed, storage capacity and automation. Going SSD alone you are obviously limited to 256GB so you would likely need an external drive to increase your capacity and then you would have to manually manage the movement of files back and forth to get the benefit of the SSD. The Fusion Drive does that all automatically.

His suggested Mac Mini set up:

2.3 GHz quad-core Intel i7

1TB HD

Upgraded with a Crucial 16 GB Memory Kit

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow