Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
bbpp
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?
In reply to Basalite, Aug 7, 2013

Basalite wrote:

bbpp wrote:

I need to replace my old MacBook Pro which is now old and running too slowly for my purposes. It's currently hooked up to an external monitor (an Eizo) and this is a good set-up for me.

When I went to the Apple store one of the "Experts" there suggested the Mac Mini instead of a new Macbook Pro since I already have a monitor. It would save me a lot of money. But although he was quite knowledgeable, he's not a photographer running Photoshop, Lightroom, and downloading large quantities of large image files, so I wonder if the following set up he suggested will really be powerful enough for me:

Yes, it will. Don't get a standard hardbdrive but choose the Fusion Drive or the 256GB SSD instead.

Thanks Baselite.  Just went to the Apple site to see the difference between the two. It looks like in the Fusion Drive the flash drive is paired with the existing 1TB traditional hard drive?

The Solid State Drive is just $50 more.  Huge difference in speed?

His suggested Mac Mini set up:

2.3 GHz quad-core Intel i7

1TB HD

Upgraded with a Crucial 16 GB Memory Kit

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow