Cost for sensor replacement for D700

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
Re: Cost for sensor replacement for D700
In reply to doncha, Aug 7, 2013

doncha wrote:

Looking for some help, I sent in my D700 for a sensor cleaning and check-up and I just checked the Service Center's web site to see the status on my order and it states that it is in "re-estimate" stage and that the sensor is scratched and damaged, etc. and the cost that it lists for the repairs are almost $1500! Holy crap! That's almost the cost of the camera! This is the Nikon Service Center in NY. Is this even close to the true cost? Or are they trying to take advantage of a situation? It's not even a heavily used camera, and I have never touched the sensor, it was cleaned by a local shop once when I noticed spots on the pics and the rocket blower and in-camera cleaner were not working. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I have yet to receive any emails from them related to the new findings. Can you negotiate this inflated price at all?

I had my low pass filter replaced 4 years ago for $360 +/- by http://www.lifepixel.com/

The problem is Nikon only replaces the sensor assembly of which the low pass filter is part.

My sensor was and is fine, but I scratched the low pass glass when a cleanig stick slide of a napkin.

They have a lot of experience exchanging low pass filters for IR filters. More experience than Nik's techs

Plus they're nice people to deal with.

Rags

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow