ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
droberto
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Complete upgrade or add to the bag?
Aug 7, 2013

Hi,

I'm here to get some second opinions on my desire to upgrade or add to my bag. So far I own a Canon Rebel T3i with a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6. I have been shooting for long enough and I don't see myself staying within crop sensors any longer. I used to shoot film completely so I need the full frame to fulfill my cravings. However, I also want to have video capability so that I can produce videos as well.

Right now, with the T3i and Sigma, I can probably sell the T3i for around $400-500. As for the Sigma, maybe around $300-350. So I can potentially have $700-850 by selling all that I own. I am also a sneakerhead and maybe willing to sell some of shoes for up to $500. So, if I'm willing to sell all of my stuff, I can have up to around $1100-1350.

So here's my dilemma. With that potential $1350, I can purchase myself a used Canon 5D Mark II for around $1200 (maybe less if I can haggle). Which means I can potentially have maybe around $200 left. I can then buy a Nifty Fifty or save up a little bit more the 50mm f1.4. So right there, I can own a really good camera with a prime, which gives me full frame and video capabilities. The only problem is that I would be stuck with just a prime (I like to shoot ultra wide most often when not doing shoots).

OR

I can sell the T3i and get $400-500, keep the Sigma. Sell some shoes for up to $500, and I got myself $900-1000 to spend. I have a friend who is willing to sell his Canon 5D (original) for $450, and I know a person who's selling his Canon 60D for $580 ($650 with Nifty Fifty, or less if I can haggle). So if I go this route, I can own both a full frame 5D and a Canon 60D for video, and have both my Sigma UWA and the Nifty Fifty, that way I would have two cameras and two lenses (which works out since it covers my wide angle cravings and prime cravings, as well as video and full frame) and so if I want have video of any shoots I do, which would be awesome.

So, that's where I'm stuck right now, either completely upgrading to a whole much better camera or just add on a camera.

Any opinions and thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance! Cheers!

droberto's gear list:droberto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow