Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
New Laptop - Touchscreen Y/N?
8 months ago

Looking to build a new photo editing PC this week, and thought it might be time to invest in a new laptop *as well* since they are both about 5 years old and barely chugging along. (Just to clarify, I am talking about 2 systems here, one tower photo editing box which is already spec'ed and ready to go, and now I am *ALSO* talking about a new laptop in addition to the photo editing box.)

The photo editing box I am good with, but I wanted to ask a few questions about the laptop and see what some of the opinions are around here. The laptop will be more of a surfing the Internet, doing letters/spreadsheets, etc. than photo editing, but I might do an occasional edit here and there, especially while on vacation or something. All the heavy lifting will be done by the new photo editing box (floor tower).

• I was considering getting a touchscreen since it seems that the world is heading that way. I have an iPad and an Android tablet, plus an Android smartphone, so I am getting used to the touchscreen paradigm, and have several times tried touching the screen on my current laptop in the last week or so out of sheer habit! Should I be concerned about screen resolution? Anyone else considering or already own a touch screen laptop?
  • Windows 8 seems to be the software platform that all of the new laptops are shipping with. I have played with it quite a bit, so I am not concerned about the interface (that is another topic, and has been discussed to death). Are there any compatibility issues with Photoshop, Lightroom or any plugins?
  • I'd love an i7 with 8 GB RAM, but those seem to be rarer than I expected and it seems like the i5's with 4GB of RAM are dominating this market. Am I crazy here? Since I am going to have the photo editing box as well, I am wondering if I should just get an i5 laptop and be done with it. Any comments here?

Any comments and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow