Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,727
Like?
Re: FF! FF everywhere!
In reply to fakuryu, Aug 7, 2013

fakuryu wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

That is correct, but do you have any indoor shots w/ dim lighting?

1/5s F2.8 ISO1600,

The Canon 70-200 LII IS f2.8 is debatable, there are a lot of reviews there that the new Tamron's 70-200 bested it

No, the new Tamron is good and a low cost alternative, but it doesnt quite match 70-00II let alone beats it.

Apples for apples, even the old Tamron beats the old Canon http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_70-200_2p8_c16/6

both lenses are irrelevant today, the old canon 70-200 IS F2.8 was never a great lens

for one thing it isnt even a real 70-200, it is a 70-180. in other words, it has no real 200mm end, so how can it beat Canon's 200mm end?

70-180? 200mm end? Or do you mean 68-196 for the Tamron (Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD) and 68-193 from the Canon (Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM). Actually, it looks like that the Tamron has the longer end, better optically, just as fast, it may not be as well built as the L but it is substantially cheaper. Unfortunately, that model does not come in the K mount (hopefully just for now)

I am not sure where you got these numbers from. But you can have a look the link below.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/12/quick-resolution-tests-on-two-new-70-200s

"The Tamron 70-200 (really it’s 186mm) f/2.8 is also exceptionally sharp, and maintains its sharpness throughout the zoom range, even at the long end. Just be aware the long end is not 200mm. We have the Canon and Nikon lenses all measured right at 200mm, while the Tamron is about 186mm. For what it is worth, the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is about 190mm."

and the old SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro also bested the L IS (even with the noisy screw drive motor, it is snappy w/ Pentax) and is more than $1000 cheaper.

It can be snappy all it wants. but for telephoto lenses, it is the combination of speed and accuracy that is important. older third party lenses are never known for their accuracy.

Dunno about that for Pentax since all bodies since the K-r has a micro adjust AF, so its not a real problem. Additionally, AF accuracy from what I've read w/ Sony and Pentax bodies is quick and spot on.

The issue isnt micro adjustment, it is inherent in lens programming. We have to see more AF test under more stressful situations before we can say that it lives up to its role as high performance telephoto. Like these.

What do I know? I just shoot with the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD on my friend's D40 and never had problems with speed and accuracy. Let me type that again. A D40 and I've also shot a D3s with the Nikon 70-200 VRII every now and then.

Let see some of these D40 shots that required good speed and accuracy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
70DNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow