Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Hendrixx
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: FX lenses recommendations?
In reply to Kali108, 8 months ago

Kali108 wrote:

Hendrixx wrote:

I'll be getting my first fx soon (D600) and I'm still wondering what lenses I should get with. At first I figured I'd go for the 24-70 but after a lot of research I'm thinking I'd rather go for 2-3 lenses(for almost the same price).

I mostly shoot landscapes and I'm wanting to do more portrait. I actually shoot a little bit of everything.

I've been thinking of going down this road:

sb70016-35 f4 and the 50 f1.4g OR the 85 1.8g
and then later on add a telezoom, like the new 80-400 maybe.

Would the 16-35 be too wide for everyday use? Talking not just landscapes, but around the house, low light indoor, pets, snapshots around town...etc? Or is that something the 50mm would cover better?

The reason I thought of getting the 50 or 85 was for a dedicated portrait lens. Maybe the 50 is a little too wide for that? (but perfect for the scenarios mentioned above? Maybe best to get all three?(barely in my budget)

What do you guys say? Is the 16-35 strictly a landscape lens? What do you think of the primes?

All help much appreciated..

D600 is a great camera, especially for the money. Highly recommend going with a refurb..$1500-1600 now?

Anyway, from your post, it seems you're looking for good value vs the ultimate performance....yes? No?

If you're serious about landscape...primes. The Nikon 14-24 is an exceptional zoom, but a Zeiss 21 f2.8 or my fav, the Zeiss 25 f2 (!!)(not the f2.8) is better. Really big bucks though. Most other zooms have serious field curvature issues, etc. So, I would suggest a Samyang prime, 14mm f/2.8 ED. See photozone.de's review. $350. Shockingly good. Most landscapes don't move, so manual focus is fine. Samyang 24 is great value too...but the 14mm is special.

Portraits, the Nikon 85 f1.8G is a no-brainer. Stellar at 3x the price. 50mm isn't good for tight shots, but is fine for head & shoulders...still prefer 85-105 FL.

Another general purpose / landscape lens would be the new Sigma 35mm f1.4, excellent optic, no compromise whatsoever,. Better than the Nikon equivalent and way cheaper.

Zooms: I'd recommend the Tamron 24-70 VC and Nikon 70-200 f4 VR.

I'm a prime guy, so *I* would start building a kit of 85 f1.8G, Sigma 35, Samyang 14...in that order...but I'm mostly a portrait shooter. 35mm and 85mm are bread and butter focal lengths.

Good luck!

Man I love this forum. Thanks again all.

Kali you have me seriously thinking now to go for the Samyang 14mm for portraits! I went to the shop yesterday to try out the 18-35 and I wasn't too impressed. It was really distorted at 18 and focusing and metering with it gave the D600 some problems it seemed. Maybe not issues to worry about in landscape but it left me feeling a bit disappointed.

Then I saw your post, and I'm thinking why not go for the 14mm samyang, the 85 nikkor and the 24-120 f4? I'm not pulling too much more out of my pocket for a dedicated landscape lens while getting a great zoom for everyday use and a dedicated portrait lens.

My sister has a 35mm Samyang and it's a really nice lens I must say. What frustrates me sometimes is that it isnt AF but that shouldnt matter in the landscapes with the 14mm.

One step closer...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ualNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow