Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: Seeking purchasing advice
In reply to Fabo, 11 months ago

Fabo wrote:

Hi there,

I've been taking pictures for some years now. I've started with a Canon 350D and the use of standard kit lenses. I upgraded three years ago to the 60D (50 mm 1.4, 15 - 85 mm IS USM).

I was using both cameras 95% for stills photography. So far I shoot 2 weddings and did some little projects for friends and people from work.

Now it is time to upgrade once more and take it to the next level. I'd like to shoot more weddings and portraits to finance my hobby but also not forget about experimenting (landscape/macro/long exposure shots)

I have a limited budget of about 6000$ and have to make a decision between the following two cameras and 4 lenses (unless I get some suggestions to rethink my selection

- 6D / 5D Mark III

- 24-105 mm f4 IS USM / 17-40 mm f4 USM / 100 mm 2.8 USM IS macro / 70-200 mm f2.8 ISII

Choosing the 6D over the 5D obviously buys me almost two more lenses.

The questions I have:

- Is is worth buying one of the best ff cameras on the market but only having limited lense options; or should I rather take the 6D and ignore some minor disadvantages (autofocus, antialiasing, RAW HDR etc.) and buy more lenses.

The hardest decision for me right now is to choose between the 70-200 and 100 mm + 17-40mm. Both options cost ~ the same.

Any advice is highly appreciated! I am very happy about any suggestions, what combinations would make sense to get the most out of my limited budget (also regarding...does it make sense to constantly upgrading rather than buying the best on the market for once and stick to it for a long time)

Thanks a lot!

It is best to invest in lenses that you will keep for a long time. The better the lens, the less you will lose when you finally upgrade. I bought a 70-200 f2.8 IS used, had it for about a year when the II came out and sold it for a slight profit as some were looking for this discontinued lens. I think it is best to buy a system, so get the best you can now and plan to buy other lenses in the future that will round out your whole kit.

If you take more landscapes then you will be using the 17-40 more.

If you are taking things at a distance, sports, animals, then the 70-200 will be the right one.

If you are doing lots of macro, obviously the 100mm it the ticket.

The 24-105 is a good all around and travel lens.

Both the 100 and 70-200 will work well for portraits.

If it were me, I would put the money into the lenses...get the 6D, the 17-40, 100mm macro IS, and 70-200 f2.8 IS II and keep your 50mm 1.4 (that puts you at $6250).

Now if you don't really need a long lens (and you may not), then get the 5DIII, 17-40, 100mm macro IS, keep your 50mm 1.4.  I don't think you are going to miss the 24-105, I know that I don't.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow