Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,203
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon
In reply to McGooble, Aug 7, 2013

McGooble wrote:

Hi, everyone.

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I've been thinking about this for quite a while.

I'm not officially a Pentax owner yet, but it seems like a definite possibility. Currently I use a Canon Rebel XS and have a 18-55 kit lens and the "nifty fifty" 50mm 1.8. I have been thinking of switching systems for a while now as I felt both Nikon and Pentax were much better in low noise, high ISO photography.

Certainly better than a five year old entry level 10mp DSLR.

I enjoy taking natural light photos, so this is a big emphasis for me if I end up upgrading. On the XS I feel that anything above ISO 400 gets a bit too noisy, too much detail starts to degrade. Everything I've read makes me think that Canons in general are noisier athigher ISO. Plus I hate the way the auto white balance renders incandescent light, even with the incandescent setting it is still far too orange, which seems to be a problem with all the Canons I've encountered.

You seem to have yourself convinced to change brands; as for the white balance, I much prefer to tweak it in RAW than to expect the camera to know precisely what the color temperature of the light is.

So that of course is where the k-30 comes in. I feel that for the price that it is a great deal for a better than entry level camera. It meets many of my criteria and has in body stabilization, which would be awesome to have even on a prime lens.

Bear in mind that in-body stabilization in a DSLR does not provide you, the AF or the metering with a stabilized image to work with. The sensor gets stabilized but you using the viewfinder, and the camera's AF and metering sensors, will have to work with an unstabilized and possibly jittery image, the longer the focal length the more this is the case. In-lens stabilization (Canon and Nikon) stabilizes what you see and what the sensors have to work with.

There is a very good reason Canon and Nikon use optical stabilization. Sensor-based stabilization is fine for mirrorless cameras, but with a DSLR it's too far downstream.

Really though, when someone thinking of switching to brand 'P' (or whatever) posts in that forum 'should I switch to brand 'P' you can guess what the response will be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
70DNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow