Before I sell my GR....

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,370
Like?
Re: 1,001 opinions ... hope they were useful (grin)
In reply to steveashe, Aug 7, 2013

steveashe wrote:

Could not have asked for better feedback. And educated opinions. I'm going to keep the GR and upgrade my 2nd camera; anyone interested in a 2 week old Ricoh CX6 :-)? I realize that I do need two GOOD cameras for this trip. And excellent idea about electrical tape covering the brand.

I'm not convinced about electrical tape. I've never found any that had adhesive that wouldn't get gummy or tar-like if left on too long, and then it would be very difficult to remove. Although I haven't used gaffer tape myself, it's almost universally used by pro photographers who like it because it's easy to use and remove. I picked only two random products from B&H's website and these were their descriptions :

The most important non-photographic tool for photographers? It's right here: gaffer tape is something most photographers can't live without. Rosco's 48mmx50m Gaffer Tape (Black) is made with a premium cotton substrate coated with heavy-duty vinyl. The rubber-based adhesive has high tack with excellent adhesion (and doesn't leave a sticky residue). It's non-reflective and easy to tear. The roll measures 1.9" x 54.6 yards (48mm x 50m). Don't leave home without it.

• High tack with excellent adhesion
  • No sticky residue
  • Non-reflective
  • Easy to tear

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724363-REG/Rosco_851422214850_48mmx50m_Gaffer_Tape_Black.html

This Permacel / Shurtape #672 Professional Gaffer Tape - 1.0" x 50 Yds (Black) is a 12 mil industrial grade, matte-finish, vinyl-coated cloth tape which can be used wherever a strong, abrasion resistant, waterproof cloth tape is required. It's used for securing and holding overhead lighting, set and stage decoration or holding down audio or other light to medium gauge wire. Other uses include art, framing, display and graphics, stage blocking and spiking. Those involved in theatrical production of any sort literally don't go anywhere without it. It's also widely used in commercial and industrial fields for protection, holding items together for binding, sealing, packaging, splicing, bundling, and repairing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354356-REG/Permacel_Shurtape_Gaffer_Tape_Professional.html

Would love to swing a Fuji XM-1 with 16-50mm as 2nd camera (XE-1 not realistic within my budget no matter how much I try to justify); worst case is Panasonic LX7. Will take RAW photo's to allow for cropping as needed.

I like my LX7 but I agree with previous comments that Nikon's N1 cameras (J1, V1, etc.) would be a better choice. Larger sensor, better image quality, better low light image quality, and it has extremely fast and accurate focusing until the light fades, and then it's more like the LX7. Even with the longest zoom lenses (up to just below 300mm equivalent) they're much smaller and lighter than any m4/3 equivalent, and if you know what and where to buy, pretty inexpensive. Although the image quality is a step or two below Fuji's lenses, Nikon's N1 lenses are also uniformly excellent. If you don't mind the size and expense, Fuji's X cameras and lenses are about as good as they come.

There's one thing about them though. See them up close with several lenses and handle them before buying. Photographers coming from smaller cameras think they're quite large and attract too much attention, at least for street shooting. Other photographers coming from DSLRs tend to think the opposite, that they're small and go unnoticed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow