Before I sell my GR....

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784Gear list
Like?
No way
In reply to steveashe, Aug 6, 2013

steveashe wrote:

I'd really appreciate some sage advice.  I'm going to Europe for the first time in 40 years (on a Rick Steve's Best of Europe tour) in about 6 weeks.  I decided that there is no better time than today to realize this dream; part of my dream is to take memorable photos, and get prints of some of my photos to put on the walls of my apartment.  I bought a Ricoh GR about a month ago and have been loving it, but am asking myself the question about whether this is the "best" selection of a main camera for this sort of trip.  I'm going whole hog on this, so also purchased a Ricoh CX6 (10x zoom) so I have access to a little travel zoom camera, also a light travel monopod, little ballhead for the monopod, extra batteries etc.  I've taken lots of pics with the GR, I can appreciate why so many love this camera.  I've actually taken a number of photo's that I am proud of and have developed a good feel for the camera.  I bought Elements 11 as well and have been enjoying the post processing as well.

I'll be with a tour group of about 25 others and will be visiting Rome, Florence, Paris, Venice, Munich and the Swiss Alps.  The Vatican, Louvre, lots of museums. Lots of walking around.  Some free time in the afternoons and evenings but lots of prearranged touring as well.  Not having been on a tour like this before - and realizing that I'll need to be with my group and not wander too much - should I "really" be taking something like a Sony RX100 II with at least a bit of a zoom?  Will I really notice much of a difference in photo quality between these two camera's, all other things being equal?

I realize that this is a personal decision and am not expecting that there is one "right" decision. I would appreciate if some of you guys with travel experience might comment.

This forum seems like the best place to ask my question so please share.  Thanks very much!

Steve

If you like the GR and are familiar with it ...and have fun with it ...its the perfect camera for the trip. Why sell a camera you like and enjoy when the perfect time to use it is coming up?

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow