Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon
In reply to klavrack, Aug 6, 2013

I'm somewhat in Canon (one body, five lenses), but mostly in Pentax. I think the original post does provide a cogent argument for moving from Canon to Pentax. Pentax is weak in some areas (most notably flash, video and sports photography), but is superior for mid-range dSLRs in overall operational design, image quality, build, and the ability to get good optics at reasonable prices (especially if you are willing to try vintage MF lenses). You can't do better than K mount on a tight budget if you are mostly interested in fast glass.

I think the Nikon 5100 is an especially good deal, but a lot of users of the 5100/5200 series are frustrated with the extensive menu diving and logistics of the camera (big and somewhat clumsy, as well as somewhat marginal build quality). Keep in mind, that you have to move up to the 7000 series or higher to utilize the full complement of Nikon lenses. However, image quality is nearly on par with the K-30, and video is considerably better. I haven't been impressed with the low light capabilities of the 24mp sensors (5200), but that isn't a universal opinion.

The idea of waiting for something "better" is a never-ending saga. Anything that Canon comes up with that vastly improves on the poor low light performance of current models is going to be costly, and take years to drop into the lower-priced models.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
70DNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow