Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 955Gear list
Like?
Yes OSS on a fast prime is extremely helpful
In reply to RonFrank, Aug 6, 2013

Just like you I always thought that a fast short tele prime does not need stabilization. I got Sony 50/1.8 before Sigma 60 was available, because I was looking for a sharp e-mount prime in that FL.

I am very glad I did. To me, the combination of 1.8 aperture, OSS and Nex's high ISO performance is golden. I tested 50 vs a Canon 85 1/8 in low light to compare sharpness and I simply could not keep Canon steady enough to get acceptable shots. I also have Minolta MD 50/1.7 and again, it's much less useful in low light due to the lack of stabilization. I took portraits of my kids in the room lighted by nothing but the TV screen. Of course they sat still, but I wouldn't be able to pull it off with a non stabilized lens without going into really high ISO. I am a believer now.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow