Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peaceful Mind
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Unsettling result of D800 vs D600 according to DxoMark
Aug 6, 2013

In particular I've read this post at the moment it was posted.

And from time to time when I think about it, it is still quite unsettling for me. So basically, according to the scientific test, using the extra pixels in the D800 captures almost no more extra resolution than in D600. So effectively in the whole data processing work flow, I wasted so many spaces for "information" that doesn't exist in the first place.

I tried to comfort myself and said that since I owned D800E instead of D800, it could be very different.

So I want to ask you guys the real world differences between the three, D600, D800 and D800E. Since I only have the D800E (and D700 but not D600 or D800), I really don't know the real world differences between these.

e.g. if they are both print at huge size, would we be able to distinguish which one has higher resolution, provided if they are all having some parameters. If DxOMark's scientific procedure is correct it should means visually they should make no difference (at least for those lenses D600 and D800 shares the same resolution in DxOMark, if some rare occasion D800 can score 1 or more MP). But is it so with the real world test?

Thanks so much for every body in advance. If that's true that's quite sad. MP war would be purely of marketing advantage than a real world one. And then we will understand why Zeiss would want to make a super expensive 55/1.4 designed for huge pixel counts...

By the way, I am not comparing the other differences between D600 and D800. I know D800 has better AF system, dual card slot, etc.

Peaceful Mind's gear list:Peaceful Mind's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +23 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow