Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,013Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching to Pentax from Canon
In reply to McGooble, Aug 6, 2013

Well, as far as low light goes, I think the higher ISO performance of either the Nikon or Pentax will net you a gain versus the Canon. Even with the some slower Pentax 35. I admit I haven't studied Canon performance and this is only what I gather.

Anyway, you will be buying into a system, of course. etc. etc. I don't think I would ever have a use for most of the lenses Nikon offers. That isn't what 'system' means to me as much as having the few lenses I like and being satisfied with those. That is my personal system. And I have bought into that.

You have selected some lenses to compare and that is the right thing to do.

So, maybe the D7000 doesn't seem like a good deal now. I know nothing of its focus problems. People will say Pentax has challenges as well. However, I think Nikon is a generally good choice and would go with them if I weren't with Pentax. I guess I mean try to think beyond the 7000... How is the D7100 faring? Or do you just dislike it not having the AA filter?

Sounds like you aren't too happy with Canon. They have seemed static but this may be changing with the 70D. But you have made a decision about how Canon operates, from your perspective. Try to develop a feel for the philosophy of Pentax/Nikon or where you think they place emphasis. An easy one: If growing means full frame to you (I don't mean 'gee, that's nice some day', but a plan/goal) then Nikon might be best.

PS

I am with you on the 28 being a good focal length. I just don't use 28/35 much :^)

For the faster lenses, Nikon will be a better choice. The ISO performance of the K30 may adequately offset the difference in speed for your use, but faster is faster, as you know.  If a little less fast is fast enough, that is good enough, if you know what I mean.  Depending on print/view size and cropping, I would imagine a well exposed shot at ISO 1600 will be acceptable.

As far as my take on lens philosophy, Pentax seems to be smaller and not as fast. Most of the primes are small, DA (DX for Nikon), screw drive, and no image stabilization in-lens (it is in-camera). I am not against screw drive; I think it allows a smaller lens. I am mostly satisfied with the speed of the lenses. As you may have noticed, most are not inexpensive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
70DNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow