Swiching from four thirds - wide angle lenses.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
completelyrandomstuff
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
Swiching from four thirds - wide angle lenses.
8 months ago

Hi,

I am planning to sell my olympus gear and switch to pentax. I shoot almost exclusively at wide-angle with an 11-22mm and occasionally at normal to short telephoto with a 14-54mm. The lenses are great but my body (E-510) has no latitude in post-processing and the noise is getting in the way a little bit (see attached examples). I would love a body with less noise and more dynamic range. I was looking into K-30 or Nikons, but the latter have no focusing motor and thus are out.

I am wondering if anyone here has made this switch and if you have an idea how do these two lenses compare to offerings for K-mount. I would like to keep the lens prices about the same: 11-22mm at around $350 on ebay and 14-54mm around $250 on ebay, with a possibility of adding a little bit if the lens is good.

Will I be able to get comparable lenses at this price point? I don't care about focusing speed or weather sealing. Primes are fine too, but it seems like they aren't any cheaper.

Notice the discolorations and sharp transitions on the foam, right hand side. This is a common problem that doesn't happen nearly as much in other cameras at iso 100.

This is after two passes with noise ninja and lots of additional post processing - among other a masked sky. You can still see a fair amount of noise and the image is unusable at higher resolutions.

completelyrandomstuff's gear list:completelyrandomstuff's gear list
Olympus E-510 Pentax K-30 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow