ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
autre_pensee
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
New computer build headache
Aug 5, 2013

Hello all,

I have long been looking at small form factors computer as I have a multi use need.

I use my desktop computer (a shuttle cube barebone kit i built 5 years ago) as a music server and personal computer on which I do multimedia and photo editing primarily.

Hence the need for a small footprint but powerful computer.

I run ubuntu and already have 2 external usb drives for storage so that limits greatly what I need to put into the computer.

Here are my requirements:

- Quadcore, 8 threads if possible. Haswell processor (looking at the 4770T but I am not sure what I lose over the 4770 other than frequency)

- 16Gb of ram

- 128 Gb ssd for OS and programs

as I said, I run ubuntu, with GIMP and darktable. I usually also put win7 in a dual boot but rarely use it. I would most likely partition the ssd in a 40Gb Win7 primary partition 80Gb ubuntu

- I'd like to have wifi and bluetooth included in the motherboard and if possible an sd card reader (although low on the priority list) and definitely 5 or 7.1

- Because I use this as a pseudo file/music server, noise and power consumptions are both factors. One of the issues of my current setup is that the PSU is internal to the case and this creates a lot more noise than I like... So for my next setup, I'd like to have an external power supply. I understand this will limit my choices in terms of CPU but I dont know if I'll still be able to accomodate a 65W TDP processor such as the 4770S or a 45W TDP such as the 4770T (my preference)

- It'd be nice to have an integrated slim bluray player but thats not a requirement. Having a remote to control media playing on VLC and/or chrome streaming would be nice as well.

- Overall the goal (which might be unrealistic) would be to get an idle power <=~30W while still having great processing power for raw image editing

I have looked at Puget, GiadaTech and IntensePC, but they all seem to be pretty hard to get your hands upon and fairly expensive for what it is.

Thank you for letting me know what you think.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000 + 18-105 + 50mm f1.8g + 70-300 VC
SONY HX-100V

autre_pensee's gear list:autre_pensee's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow