What computer to easily process D800 files?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
Re: Run couple of tests....
In reply to hajagosb, Aug 5, 2013

Now you have your answer because blur test is really a very simple test.

My machine is

Asus Sabertooth X79 with 3930K (yes, I know it is kind of "old" technology but I think it is a perfect mix of horsepower and speed) overclocked to 4.5Ghz. I am running liquid cooling but air should be fine too.

Just get as wide case as possible. Some large heat sinks will not fit in to narrow case. Also, make sure that you get fan in front and in the back for cross ventilation.

32gb of ram. Do you see a lot of HD trashing? You may need more ram. Not related to the test speed because that test did not require lot of ram. Speed of RAM is not important. Just get DDR3-1600. It seems standard and cheapest these days. Unless something faster is on sale.

Some old AMD 6870 video card. I don't play games.

120GB SSD for OS and programs. 3TB RAID 0 for data. Another 3TB external RAID 0 for photo backup and another external 6TB for photo and everything else. Plus Blue-ray recorder for photo backup by event.

If you don't want to spend the money, get 4770K and overclock it on air. It can go to 4.5Ghz with very little effort and should run the first test just as fast.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow