Windows 8 Home cannot map to NAS Folder

Started Aug 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,965
Like?
I don't think that's the issue - see this article
In reply to CAcreeks, Aug 5, 2013

I dunno... from threads I've seen on the subject I don't think the move to SMB 3.0 (formerly known as SMB 2.2) is the problem, as Win 8 should still support previous versions.

I see lots of other issues being reported (including Network Adapter Driver issues requiring Home versus Business to be selected, etc.).  So, network adapter and driver config would also be suspect.

But, Win 8 should still be compatible with earlier SMB versions from what I can gather from reading about it.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to make sure SMB 1.x and 2.x are enabled, as mentioned in the "Client" section for Windows 8 on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547

IOW, I'd make sure to do this from a command prompt to enable SMB 1.x:

To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

Then, I'd reboot and see what I get (if the network shares are visible or not). If it doesn't work, I'd also make sure later releases are enabled like this (rebooting after changes).

To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

But, if all else fails, I think I'd just get a copy of Windows 7 and install it, as it's just not worth the time troubleshooting this kind of thing if there's a simple solution (like reverting to an OS that works with the NAS, as the OP has already indicated that it works fine with Win 7 clients)

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow