Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,042Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8
In reply to EvtK, Aug 5, 2013

EvtK wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading around on the forums here and I have checked many reviews on both the Sony SEL 50 1.8 and the new Sigma 60 2.8. I can't figure out which one to buy, and I'm hoping to find some advice here. Thanks already!

I'm new to photography and have the NEX 6 with 16-50 and 55-210 glass. I want to expand my collection for the main reason to shoot under low light conditions (in the house). This is because I have a 2 months old son and I like taking some good portrait candids of him. I managed to do this with the kitlens, but on 50 mm I can't get a higher aperture of 5.6. I'm scaring the crap out of the kid, if i get closer than 50 mm

My conclusions from reading around is that the sony 50 mm has some flaws on wide open aperture. Only from f2.8/f4.0 it starts to become a 'good' lens. The sigma has very good IQ out of the box at f2.8. Ofcourse the sony has OSS as a pre.

If I would should portraits in good light conditions, I think I would go for the sigma based on the many good reviews online. But: I want to shoot inside the house, without having optimal light conditions. Would in that case, the sony 50 mm with higher aperture and OSS better suit my needs? I wonder if I, since I'm just starting as a photographer, I would notice the flaws of the sony 50 mm...

Just get the Sigma 60 with the SEL35F18. This will give you the 'long' lens with the extra sharpness, and the 'fast' lens for indoor use, with a wider view, so it is a bit easier to use.

If your kid pictures are a must, and (bounce) flash is not an option, then you will need some extra lighting (1 stop) when using the Sigma 60 over the E50. Don't be afraid to crop with the E35.

The E50 is pretty clean from f/2.2 onwards.

I believe the E50 has nicer OOF rendering (bokeh) than the Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow