Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bryanchicken
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Re: A different answer
In reply to Ray Maines, 11 months ago

Agree, i went into a camera shop with an eye on upgrading my E-PL1 body (which i am converting to IR). I had a play with the EP5 and decided it was way too expensive. Had a play with the OM-D and decided, as a glasses wearer, that viewfinders are not for me. A cheaper OMD without VF might have won the day.
Next were the newer sensor m43 cams, the EPL5 and the EPM2. I knew they weren't for me within about 30seconds of trying to use the teeny tiny controls.

Ended up with a 5R, even though i know there are rumours of an upgrade coming. It does way more than my skill as a photog deserve, so to the checkout i went. Well happy so far with just the 16-50 and awaiting a legacy adapter. The focus peeking (which i've never had before) was a feature that swayed me a bit.

The kit lenses on the comparatively priced m43 cams are not particularly better than the 16-50. Its dubious if even the 12-50 of the OMD is any better as it gets a mixed reception.
Unless you plump for the top of the range that comes with a prime then they're all much of a muchness IMO

Ray Maines wrote:

dan801 wrote:

... what do you think I should do? Stick with nex or go to say a panasonic 4/3 camera?

I totally understand that we all want to make the best decision possible, but I'll let you in on a secret. Most of the camera buyers in the world use the wrong criteria to make their buying decisions.

Truth be told, ALL new cameras and lenses are more than good enough to produce fantastic pictures. I suggest you use the DPReview feature guide to filter your options down to three or four cameras and go to a store and hold those cameras in your hand. The camera that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy is the right camera for you. Ties are decided by price. Laboring over reviews and lab reports is the wrong way to pick a camera and/or lens.

Every brand and every camera has it's pro's and cons, and maybe in a year or two you'll want to buy a new one, but know ahead of time that new equipment isn't going to produce drastically better or even different results. A new or different camera might work better for you in the type of photography you become interested in, it might be bigger, smaller, lighter, more rugged, easier to use or just better looking than your current camera but the overall image quality really isn't going to change much from one system or set up to another.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow