Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,768Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8
In reply to Philnw2, Aug 5, 2013

Philnw2 wrote:

Here's an alternative view. I shoot a lot of rehearsal pictures for a local playhouse. I often will use 1/125 or 1/160s on my Pentax K5 to freeze the actor's motion. Even with that shutter speed, i will still get occasional blur on a leg or arm if an actor is moving fast. 1/2N seconds, where N is focal length will usually get a sharp image as a shutter speed. For a 60mm focal length, than 1/125 or faster would be a good speed. If you've got fast moving kids in the house, OSS isn't going to keep up with their speed through the house, unless they are napping OSS is much more useful if you're going to be doing still shooting at night, handheld, or macro shooting by hand. I actually turn off the IBIS in my Pentax K5 to avoid blurring during actor movement. I seem to get a lot more sharp shots that way. Maybe Zeiss is onto something by not putting it on their lenses. Just my opinion, and like they say, everyone has one - some may even be correct

They're both good lenses but I'm really waiting for more news about the G zoom to be issued this year.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Nex 6, 5n, Pentax K5, Epson R3000

Hi Phil,

For indoor shots of fast-moving subjects, nothing beats a high shutter speed and fast lens. The usefulness of OSS or IBIS is sometimes overstated. Not to mention that some in-camera IBIS systems are not always very effective, such as the Olympus Pen's older models. But the NEX's OSS in some of the native lenses seems to work quite well, gaining 2 or 3 f-stops.

" OSS is much more useful if you're going to be doing still shooting at night, handheld, or macro shooting by hand."--totally agree.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow