Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,443
Like?
Re: Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Aug 5, 2013

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

I have both and they are very good.

In good light, the Sigma beats the 50mm 1.8.

In low light, the 50mm 1.8 beats the Sigma just because of it's speed.

My 50mm 1.8 focuses slower than the Sigma, and occasionally misses focus altogether, when wide open. This doesn't happen with the Sigma.

Optically, I would say that the Sigma is better, but not by a mile.

If you're not afraid of raising the ISO a bit - and you shouldn't be, the Sigma is fine under normal domestic lighting.

ymmv.

I have two side questions to ask. If you have the SEL 50mm f/1.8 and pretty happy with it. How do you justify buying the 60. Do you see the two lenses compete in usage or you see that they do fit in complimenting each other for different shooting scenes?

I have the first version of Sigma 19 & 30 along with the SEL 50. The Sigma surprise me in a good way: the good sharpness, AF and less hunting make them charming. How does the size of Sigma 60 with the hood on compare to the SEL 50? Which one is taller when the hood is mounted?

I actually love the 50 for its color, contrast and good speed but if there is one little gripe to share about the SEL 50 is on its slower AF and occasional hunting indoor. The lens hood is also a bit big when mounted.

Thanks for the help,

Hin

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow