FX lenses recommendations?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,843Gear list
Like?
Re: FX lenses recommendations?
In reply to Hendrixx, 11 months ago

Hendrixx wrote:

Is the 16-35 really too wide for everyday shots around the house? My current Dx lens is 18-55 and I'm using the 18-24mm a lot (equivalent to the last 27-35mm) on the 16-35 lens. However, it might be too distorted like you say? Lens corrections are pretty good today though right?

I didn't even give the kit lens a thought. Is it that good? It's so cheap....but that doesn't have to mean anything I guess

I do find it peculiar that the other two recommendations are 50 and 85 which are both covered by the 24-85? If they are so much better then the kit lens, that you would buy them alongside it makes me think if spending on the kit lens is really worth it? What do you think?

DX is a 1.5 multiplier. So the 24-85 is really the FX equivalent of what you have. The 16-35 is basically the lower 1/4 of the range you are currently getting from the 18-55.

The 24-85 while a lovely lens is a little too slow for an indoors lens without a good flash. The 50 1.8 is great general purpose length and plenty fast for indoors use. It can also be a great full body portrait lens. And it's so cheap it's a no-brainer.

The 85 f1.8 is easily the best portrait below $1000. Maybe the best portrait period. Take one portrait picture with this lens and you will understand it's magic.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ualNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow