Forum ProPosts: 14,366Gear list
Re: Seilerbird666 is correct, but...
In reply to amalric, Aug 5, 2013

amalric wrote:

slimandy wrote:

MrScorpio wrote:

seilerbird666 wrote:

Quite a while ago in fact.

However there still are a few people who watch Betamax tapes, listen to records and use a land line so there will always be a few people who refuse to come into the modern world. They hang on to past technologies like it is a winning lottery ticket. They refuse to admit that new technology is better and they refuse to even try it.

High ISO cameras, advanced shooting modes, Photoshop, and image stabilization have all contributed to making fast lenses a thing of the past.

The economics are amazing. A Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS lens is $2500. The exact same lens in f4 costs $1000. While there might be a few people in the world that can justify spending $1500 for one more stop, the overwhelming majority would laugh at such an idea.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

I think Seilerbird is correct for what I would call "the big masses". But people here are not part of "the big masses" in terms of photography. This community is often aspiring of being more into photography than the average mobile phone shooter. Therefore the question is extremely relevant for the producers of the mass consumption market, but hopelessly irrelevant here. Just my opinion...

This is an interesting point but my brother is one of the masses rather than a keen photographer and he asked me how to get the shallow DOF he sees in some of my shots. Now he owns a fast prime lens alongside his kit zoom. Funnily enough he has never asked me how to get more resolution.

Isn't it because you have the typical midbrow taste of the suburban classes?

No, but it is typical of you to suggbest so.

One might not be quite interested in beautifying brides like marriage hacks do, so good resolution helps when you do *reality*.

That is the old Magnum tradition at least. As mentioned shallow DOF is now just a smartphone App.

Your standards must be way lower than mine (and my brtothers).

I contend that fast lenses make you lose more resolution at full aperture than a fast sensor, and that as sensors keep improving they will keep getting additional stops, while lenses won't. Even the Cosinas have v. poor resolution at 0.95, and they are massive lenses.

Have I seen my shots lacking resolution? No. Can I see shallow DOF? Yes.

If you want nice bokeh, you can get it from a smart phone - LOL!

No you can't, and that fact that a smartphone is good enough for you speaks volumes about you.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
orNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow