What is the best software cure for CA

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,344Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the best software cure for CA
In reply to Dr_Jon, Aug 5, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

I find Lightroom does a better job to DXO, which is annoying as I prefer DXO and have now upgraded to LR5 to process images with significant CA. However DXO does do fine with my GH3 pics (all my lenses have profiles), but some Canon ones without lens profiles have been disastrous.

Based on the examples I have seen, I agree that LR does a better job with CA than DxO. Lateral CA is taken care of automatically and without any significant drawbacks in LR by means of the checkbox labeled Remove Chromatic Aberration. For longitudinal CA (LoCA), no software that I am aware of offers any other solution than to desaturate the offending hues, which yields imperfect results. Eliminating LoCA can also be time-consuming if the fringes have colors similar to those appearing for quite legitimate reasons elsewhere in the picture so that you can't defringe globally but have to selectively protect certain areas. However, among RAW converters, the defringe and brush tools of LR may still be the best bet.

A comparison of LR and DxO is available here for those interested (see the last part of the post):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51617739

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow