Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8
In reply to EvtK, 11 months ago

This is my logic.

In good light both are good, cause if you have good light, you can have the 50mm at a smaller aperture and have very good IQ.

In bad light one will give you acceptable images, the other will give you camera shake. Unless you use something to keep the shutter at 1/100 , or give you very noisy images with high ISO.

So in the end, the 50 mm is the better lens. And it is not as bad as they say at 1.8. It is more than acceptable.

Now, when would I choose the 60mm? When I want the extra sharpness. Probably if I worked making portraits, or as a hobby, but with makeup, good props, portraits with planning, I would want all the sharpness, and use flash. Then yes, I would get the 60mm. Also the 60mm is better for portraits, if you have the space. But for everything else, the 50mm is the lens to get. 50mm is already a bit large for a bedroom for instance. 60mm would make it harder indoors, unless you live in a very big house/flat. Also, if I had a good park, a swimming pool, etc, at home, I would get the 60mm for good light, but you will loose the possibility of good portraits inside the house or at night, unless you use flash. Still, I think the 60mm is a better portrait lens, but the 50mm is a more rounded and useful lens.

Again, in my opinion.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow