The rangefinder experience - I need your input... (nsfw?)

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,331
Like?
The rangefinder experience - I need your input... (nsfw?)
Aug 4, 2013

Hi to everyone...

As some of you may know I have one of the new M cameras... My camera seems to be in perfect condition, the RF system seems to work well with all my Leica lenses, the sensor is in perfect condition, everything should be ok.

But... I find this camera very difficult to use effectively.. Whenever I go our for a walk with my M, I come back with very few descent photos and the problem seems to be the manual focusing... Of course, if I shoot static subjects all is good. The files are great, I love the colour and detail etc.  Here is an example of a static subject that shows detail and colour (see in large please)... (oh, did I make the post not suitable for work??? I promised Louis cats and now this... Disgraceful! ). I continue my discussion below the pic.

Colourful characters

I did try to use pre-focus and an f8 aperture and yes then all looks good, but I did not get a Leica to shoot at f8... Any camera/lens is good at f8... I want to shoot at f1.4 or f2...

I looked around at the blogs and pictures of people that use wide apertures effectively with the Leica M, and I realised lots of them shoot their own family or static subjects. I guess in both cases you can have some more control...

Can you help me please by either giving me some advise on how to improve with the M system, or by sharing your first learning steps with the M cameras and how you became better? Also, in another recent post, Jeff mentioned how important the actual RF experience is to him, which I think means the ability to see around the frame... I would be interested to hear all such views/experiences...

I do not want to sell this camera because when you get a good image it is really good. I like the fact that it is small and full frame and there is no way I will carry a massive SLR for personal work.

Many thanks,

D

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow