Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,431
Re: 24-105L is the way to go for OP; maybe add 50 1.8
In reply to bronxbombers4, Aug 4, 2013

bronxbombers4 wrote:

chironNYC wrote:

I think you are talking about critiquing a lens, and the OP is talking about taking pictures.

DXO gives the 24-105 a score of 20 on the 5d3. While 20 is not a perfect score, it is a good score and similar to the 24-70L f/4 or 35L 1.4. It actually fits with about what most users reports on this site.

The 24-105 covers a wide range with a decent constant aperture. I don't know any wide lenses, especially zooms, that are not a bit soft in the corners and edges. CA is easily fixed. For the uses the 24-105 is designed for, I don't think any of your criticisms of the lens will matter a fig when looking at the real pictures with minimal post-processing.

For doing comic-con stuff like another guy here was talking about maybe not. For doing landscape work at the wider end maybe so. The difference between 24-105 and 24-70 II/24 1.4 II/24 T&S II/24-70 f/4 IS at 24mm is pretty easy to see with real pictures of that type. Not everyone cares about those types of shots or cares even if they do but the difference is pretty large all the same whether you care or not.

But you are advising him not to get a specific, very versatile lens by specifying a specific type of picture that the OP has not said he is interested in, i.e. you are arguing a limited case (landscapes shot wide) that does not particularly apply here. The OP seems to be more interested in versatility and value.

Also, I think this has nothing to do with what aspects of image quality I personally care about or can see. I have and use a lot of excellent L or high quality non-L primes like the 24mm f/2.8 IS and the 35 f/2 IS, but I also use the 24-105L extensively. There are different lenses for different purposes and situations, as I know you know.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow