Fast sensors have made fast lenses obsolete Locked

Started Jul 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,806
Re: "Preconceived ideas"?
In reply to Anders W, Aug 4, 2013

Interesting to open you from time to time, just to see how far your pseudo science carries you into the absurd.

1. Everybody knows how short distance to flange creates problems to even resolution across the frame in m4/3, therefore comparing lenses that have 2 or three times the distance to flange, and which don't have this problem is particularly stupid.

2. Roger Cicala was the first to remark on the poor performance of the PL 25/1.4 at full aperture:

"The Panasonic/Leica 25mm disappointed a bit: it was good but I had expected it to be THE best of the bunch and it’s not."

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/wide-angle-micro-43-imatest-results

and

"We also did some confirmation testing at 25mm. First retesting the Panasonic – Leica 25mm f/1.4 because it just didn’t seem as great as we expected on the initial set of tests. Then we did some comparison testing, testing the same lenses on both the Panasonic GX1 and the Olympus OM-D E-M5. I won’t bore you with all the numbers, but testing 6 copies of the Panasonic-Leica f/1.4 didn’t change our initial results much. (The results have been updated on the previous article.)"

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/standard-range-micro-43-imatest-results

Those are in fact Imatest data, and he found that the PL 25/1.4 has HALF THE RESOLUTION at 1.4 compared to 2.8.

So you and Bustard are just clowns manipulating arbitrarily data for the noobs.

Conversely Roger's data prove very well my point: that it is better to use a fast sensor and a moderate aperture, than the opposite, in terms of resolution. The two CV at f/0.95 prove the same.

Possibly because of the short distance to flange, they are a waste of money in terms of resolution, well below Lenstip's 'level of decency' at full aperture.

Instead, in terms of Price/ Performance the Sigmas are a fantastic buy, if you have a fast sensor like the E-M5.

QED

Now please go back to the obscurity where the quack doctors and ragged devils are condemned

Am.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
orNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow