What computer to easily process D800 files?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
physguy88
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
Re: SSD vs RAID
In reply to moogle73, Aug 4, 2013

moogle73 wrote:

But still, I could never recommend RAID 0 to anyone whose not a "tech" and with a good understanding of what their doing, and have multiple redundant backups. Just as you said "in your experience HD's are more prone to unexpected failures) so if any HD in that RAID 0 config goes, your whole RAID array goes, and you better hope you have backups, its not like RAID 1 where you have a duplicate copy, or RAID 5 where you have stripping / data redundancy across all drives so you just pop a new one in... RAID 0, you lose a drive you loose your data.

OP is a professional user so I assume he can get the help he needs to achieve a good set up if all the caveats are mentioned.

But regardless average SSD's now have read write speeds of 500-600mb/s, no house hold RAID array will come anywhere near those speeds using standard Hard Drives.

Isn't that just the speed limit of the SATA bus? So RAID 0 should give you 2x that in theory no?

I guess RAID SSD setup the other poster mentioned may be the way to go if single SSDs are hitting the SATA speed limit on sustained transfers and the drive degradation problems have been solved.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow