ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EvtK
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8
Aug 4, 2013

Hi All,

I have been reading around on the forums here and I have checked many reviews on both the Sony SEL 50 1.8 and the new Sigma 60 2.8. I can't figure out which one to buy, and I'm hoping to find some advice here. Thanks already!

I'm new to photography and have the NEX 6 with 16-50 and 55-210 glass. I want to expand my collection for the main reason to shoot under low light conditions (in the house). This is because I have a 2 months old son and I like taking some good portrait candids of him. I managed to do this with the kitlens, but on 50 mm I can't get a higher aperture of 5.6. I'm scaring the crap out of the kid, if i get closer than 50 mm

My conclusions from reading around is that the sony 50 mm has some flaws on wide open aperture. Only from f2.8/f4.0 it starts to become a 'good' lens. The sigma has very good IQ out of the box at f2.8. Ofcourse the sony has OSS as a pre.

If I would should portraits in good light conditions, I think I would go for the sigma based on the many good reviews online. But: I want to shoot inside the house, without having optimal light conditions. Would in that case, the sony 50 mm with higher aperture and OSS better suit my needs? I wonder if I, since I'm just starting as a photographer, I would notice the flaws of the sony 50 mm...

Finally: here in the Netherlands, the sigma is 100 euro's cheaper than the sony. 270 vs 170.

Thanks for taking time to think with me.

Oh: here are some of my shots (random picked). Always nice to know what you think of it:

Tired - ƒ/8 84mm 100 1/200s

Blackscapes 6 - ƒ/11 23mm 100 1/200s

At-the-swimming-pool - ƒ/13 16mm 100 1/400s

Small-Curaçao - ƒ/13 56mm 100 1/320s

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow