ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VaLeX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
K5II vs K50?
Aug 4, 2013

Hello

I'm a pentax shooter. I'm still using my K10D, although rarely, with prime lenses (31 & 77 Lims).

In the last years I had very little time for photography, and I found compact cameras more comfortable for snapshots and traveling light. Not to mention that they make movies - and since I'm a father (four years since) ... this become an essential usage of a camera (before that, I didn't consider at all filming capabilities of a camera). In the last few month, after my compact Panasonix Lx3 died, I seriously considered buying another top compact camera. Yet, I'm not satisfied with Pentax MX1, Fuji X20 and Oly ZX2 - mostly in terms of image quality. And I thought that maybe updating my DSLR would be a better option. Ideally, I'd have a DSLR and a compact, but finances are low these days, not to mention that my wife, who used the compact camera more frequently, now relies on the photo&filming capabilities of the mobile phone.

So, I considered updating my Pentax DSLR, but I kind of lost contact with the evolution of technology and marketing in this area. I'm interested in the differences between the K5II and K50, because, although financially they differ significantly, in terms of specifications I can't find major relevant differences:

- they share the same sensor;

- they're both weather proof;

- they have the same pentaprism viewfinder (Am I wrong here?);

- they both have front and rear wheel for controlling shooting parameters;

- they have similar focus system and, as I understand, similar focusing speed;

- the DA 18-55 WR kit lens has plastic mounting in both cameras. (the same for the 18-135 WR?)

(I'm not interested in frames per second, nor in shooting RAW - I don't have time for PP).

The advantage of K5 is the top LCD panel, and probably more customization (lens calibration might be very relevant for me), while the advantages of K50 are price and weight&size (I'm not interested in this customizable color frenzy of Pentax).

Am I correct in my evaluation? Have I missed something relevant?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

VaLeX's gear list:VaLeX's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow