Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,346Gear list
Like?
Shooting Stars with the K5 IIs
11 months ago

Shooting Stars: From dusk Friday night until dawn of Saturday morning I was at Fort Griffin, Texas armed with my camera and tripod shooting the night sky for the very first time as a serious effort.

Those who never venture out of the cities and all of the light pollution, have no idea what exists in the heavens above them. The night sky is amazing and blazing with more stars than you could ever imagine.

These photos were 15 to 30 second exposures. I'm pretty happy with what I got for my first time out shooting stars at a Dark Skies site. You'll have view them full size to see the detail.

These were all shot with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm at f/2.8 for the most part. I have a lot to learn about shooting the night sky, any pointers would be appreciated.

I came across this old deserted bridge while coming back from the nights shooting.  It is a bridge to nowhere but the view from the bridge of the night sky was way cool.

Probably one of my favorite shots of the night.  I used a flashlight to briefly paint the bridge with light.

Fort Griffin, Texas.. These are ruins of the original fort built to protect settlers in the 1800s.

The quiet (except for the coyotes) was so refreshing.. no noise just a welcome breeze.

Inside the ruins of the old Fort shooting out the window.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow