Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,023Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report
In reply to dan801, Aug 4, 2013

dan801 wrote:

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/842-sony1650f3556oss

So looking at these results: I was about to buy myself a new nex camera 5r. The camera seems to be perfect for what I want and seems to be an outstanding sensor compared to say m43 cameras. However now looking at the results of all the latest lens test (I would use this lens quite a bit when travelling) I'm worried about all the issues mentioned in the article. Perhaps I'm better of buying a m43 camera with better kit lens and may still come out on top? At $600 max for a camera and lens kit what do you think I should do? Stick with nex or go to say a panasonic 4/3 camera?

Hello, Dan - and welcome...

Check my recent postings regarding this lens. Don't get me wrong - I deeply respect Photozone. But their testing on an NEX-7 is completely inappropriate. The lens wasn't designed for a 24mp sensor - especially one that has issues with many lenses that work just fine on the 16mp sensors.

I posted countless images on an NEX-6 with this lens, as have others. Dan, despite all the criticisms of this lens, it is truly fine on a 5R, a 6, or just about any other camera. There is no other zoom within your price range that will deliver close to the results of the 5R/16-50PZ.

Ignore the critics unless they are willing to "show you the money images." I've repeatedly challenged all the detractors of this lens to show me images that prove this lens is bad, and NOT ONE has had the guts to back up their charges. Dan, it's just smoke. There's no significant QC issues - there are LOTS of cockpit issues from people who blame their inadequacies on their gear. But you will find people slamming gear on every forum.

There's an easy way to sort this out: When someone says a lens or camera is bad, ask them to show your their proof. Some web site's lens tests prove nothing, unless you plan to shoot lens charts for kicks - especially when the sensor on which it's tested isn't yours.

There are many nice m43 cameras and lenses. But there are just 2 companies (Olympus and Panasonic) supporting this now-aging format, and both are in financial trouble. I could as much make a case for you buying into a m43 as buying a nice Pontiac or Saturn. The NEX system has 67% bigger sensor, a superior crop factor - and the vastly greater superiority of Sony sensors which both Nikon and Canon use in their DSLRs.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow