Windows 8 Home cannot map to NAS Folder

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,315
Like?
I don't think I'll recommend Win 8 again...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, 8 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

Microsoft isn't trying to break linux compatibility, they are trying to improve Windows functionality. Windows 8 and Server 2012 moved to SMB 3.0, which is MUCH faster and robust for file sharing. If Linux can't keep up their compatibility, that is hardly MS fault for moving on.

P.S.

Again, B.S. (see my last post).

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Windows 8. But, as a general rule of thumb, I don't discourage users from going with Win 8 versus Win 7; since they can install something like the free Classic Shell for Windows to get Win 7 functionality back again (Start Menu, etc.)

But, given the issues with SMB/CIFS compatibility (as evident in this thread), I may rethink my position.

If Microsoft is going to take the position of being incompatible with anything other than SMB 3.0 by default with Win 8 (so that users that have existing servers and NAS devices using older CIFS/SMB versions can't use Windows 8 to connect to them), then I think I'll keep that in mind before recommending Windows 8 going forward.

That's a darn shame (Microsoft breaking compatibility with servers using anything other than the latest SMB 3.0 release); as they should have included a mechanism to fall back to working with existing servers/NAS devices using the previous versions by default.

I suspect there are some Win 8 registry entries available to allow compatibility with older SMB versions (hopefully, anyway). But, users should not have to go to that much trouble (finding switches/registry changes) to use their existing NAS devices with Win 8.

So, I'll definitely keep that in mind before recommending Win 8 again going forward (as it's looking more and more like Microsoft is just getting to be too greedy, judging by the Windows 8 design).

Thanks for the clarification on SMB versions.  From now on, I think my position will be to tell buyers to avoid Windows 8 at all costs.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow