FX lenses recommendations?

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
frontal_lobe
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
Re: FX lenses recommendations?
In reply to Hendrixx, Aug 3, 2013

I agree with a lot of the suggestions that 16-35 is too wide as a general purpose lens. As a simple matter of practicality, I'd strongly recommend just starting with a standard zoom. The 24-70 is, as you've recognized, a wonderful lens, but it is big heavy and expensive. The 24-85 would be a fine choice as others have mentioned. My own preference is the 24-120 f/4 VR. FWIW, I wrote a review of it here a couple of months ago:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51610510

My suggestion would be to look carefully at both your budget and what you really intend to do, and then choose either the 24-85 or 24-120. Live with whichever you choose for a while, and see what frustrates you (if anything). Then choose your second/third lenses. You may possibly find that you want the faster aperture of, say, an 85/1.8 for portraits etc, but based on what you've said, you may find that one of the zooms does you for 90% of everything. 24mm on FX is pretty wide, and for landscapes, if you need to go wider, you can stitch panoramas very effectively. Do you have a really good tripod? Your budget, in relation to landscapes, may be better spent on a tripod/ballhead/remote release/filters than on another lens at this stage.

Just my two cents!

Cheers,

Anthony.

frontal_lobe's gear list:frontal_lobe's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ualNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow