Started Aug 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,941Gear list
Like?
Some camera things I really hate.
Aug 3, 2013

There are are number of things about the digital camera world today that I really hate.  THis is obviously a personal rant, so please fell free to join in.   By the way, I've been a serious photographer since 1955 when I got my first 35 mm.  I'm old, conservative, and cranky - so please be understanding.

1) Use of the term "bridge camera" for superzooms.  Bridge cameras were the link between P&S models and the very expensive DSLRs back around 2004.  The Canon Pro 1 was a bridge camera.  So was the Nikon 8800 and the Sony F828, among others.

2) It's lens (singular) or lenses (or lenses (plural).  Lense is not a word for one lens.  Len is not singular for Lens.

3) The smaller sensor of 4/3 and m4/3 promised smaller, lighter and faster lenses.  The faster lenses showed up in the 4/3 DSLR line (14-54 f/2.8-3.5), but where are they for the m4/3?

4) The X factor for cameras and lenses.  Just tell me the minimum and maximum focal length, I can do division, I learned it in third grade.  I'd sit on a stool in our local independant camera shop, and folks would come in and ask "How many X is it, and how many MP?"  Then they'd agonize over two or three cameras with different X and MP.  It's America where bigger is better.

5)  Slow lenses on tiny sensor cameras.  Hey guys; your noise reduction algorithns are just not that good.  Driving the ISO to 1600 or 3200 because your lens is f.6.5 is not offset by your NR.  Panasonic got that right with the FZ200.  Hello!!!

6)  Manufacturers get it almost right with one model (Canon SX230HS, for example) with a great lens and very good NR.  So in the next model, they change the lens to one with soft corners; but more X and poorer AF.

7) In the 70's, 80's and 90's, I had film SLRs  and I could easily get fast lenses of very good quality.  The Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/2.8-4, or the Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8.  Lots more, too.  Now, everything under $1000 ends up at f/5.6 or smaller at full zoom.  OK, the Sigma 17-70's are faster.  Anybody else?  Slow lenses at full zoom drive you into higher ISO at the very focal lengths when you want faster shutter speeds.

8) I neither need, nor want, "face recognition"; let alone face memory, blink recognition, etc.

OK, that's a start.  I'll probably think of more later.  Or, you guys can chime in.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow