Started Jul 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 5,025
Like?
Re: Tripods are so first-half 2013
In reply to De Michael, Aug 2, 2013

De Michael wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

This is a joke, right? I guess you are unaware of mirror slap as an issue; or you are just saying "get the job done" means adequate to your own requirements, because with higher pixel densities and a desire to get all of what those pixel densities offer you are going to need to use MLU at fairly slow shutter speeds.

Rick Knepper wrote:

Photoshop CC and Camera Shake Reduction can get the job done.

De Michael wrote:

Question says it all. At what point is a tripod redundant?

Let's say, if using a 24-70mm 2.8 at 70mm it is obvious that you need to use a tripod with 1/2 second exposure.

But at what point would a tripod be useless?

125th second? 250th second? 500th second? 1000th second.

Just curious as to others thoughts.

So, Tony. Do you think mirror slap is really an issue when shooting at 1000th of a sec? Curious here.

That's not the question, and that wasn't Rick's answer either. It depends on a lot of things such as aperture, focal length, lens construction, the camera, etc. I'm seeing some mirror slap at 1/160s with my A850 shooting on a tripod on a carpeted floor (and yes, the ground beneath the tripod is important too, and harder surfaces make mirror slap worse); perhaps not enough to be an issue for many, but enough to indicate to me that as I go slower the need for MLU becomes greater. As I recall, my D200 exhibited mirror slap at 1/250s and my D300 exhibited it at 1/200s -- newer cameras may well do better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow