What computer to easily process D800 files?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hasa
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
Re: Basics....
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Aug 2, 2013

Hi, I agree that there is no reason to go back on specifications. My PC is a few years old with a 6-core AMD Phenom X6 1090T, 8GB RAM (very rarely used up), a decent power supply and cabinet that is fully equipped with a fast OS drive C:, an auxilialry (swap) hybrid drive D and net 4TB samsung ecodrive (silent & cool) built from 4 drives attached to the onboard raid controller to get me RAID 0+1 (striping for twice the speed + mirroring for full backup). It costs little more than buying external drives and there is never a worry about remembering to do backups.

My main concern is that the CPU gets rather hot.

Multi-core? All 6 cores are used by Lightroom 4 even when just zooming in and out of an image. I bought the six-core cpu specifically for stitching panoramas with PTgui. I knew I had to do 'something' when I upgraded from a 10Mpix camera to a 36Mpix camera.

When doing large panoramas I do run out of physical memory.And yes, the point made by another contributor about a RAM disk sounds like a great idea!

-- hide signature --

Smile and the world smiles back!

Hasa's gear list:Hasa's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow